Verbs taking -ing and to do
With Same and Different Meanings
Same or Similar Meaning
- Start, started, started
- We started to drive to Cincinatti after we dropped of the gift.
- We started driving to Cincinatti after we dropped off the gift.
- Begin, began, begun
- We began to hope for better weather when the sun came out.
- We bagan hoping for better weather when the sun came out.
- Continue, continued, continued
- I continued to speak, but they kept talking over me.
- I continued speaking, but they kept talking over me.
- Stop, stopped, stopped
- I stopped to pick up dinner at McDonalds.
- I stopped picking up the toys. I had decided the kids needed to do that.
- Try, tried, tried
- I tried to tell you my thoughts, but you wouldn’t listen.
- I tried telling you my thoughts, but they didn’t make sense to you.
- Mean, meant, meant
- I meant to go to the store on the way home, but I forgot.
- I meant going to the store is a good idea. Why don’t you do that on the way home?
- Choose one verb from each section and form two sentences similar to those in the examples.
- Post your sentences on a forum and ask others to give feedback.